Do you love hearing about how other people live behind closed doors? I do. Because I am wildly imperfect, and I want desperately to relate to others in this way. I try hard to reflect that in my life, with varying success. My motto is Show Me Your Ugly Face. In moderation, naturally. No one needs all of that. Save some for your loved ones.
Which is the theme for this week’s writing prompt post. No, silly, not Ugly Faces. I’ve shared enough of that on this blog, you’re welcome. I’m talking about my loved ones. One in particular: my spouse.
I love talking about my husband here because he has a high level of tolerance for my tendency to over-share and exaggerate a wee bit, and he never makes me feel bad or guilty about it, which he definitely could and probably should. But I know the reason why he doesn’t is that he is even more narcissistic than me, so I know that he loves it when I mention him on the blog.
Which is awesome for everyone involved here.
So anyway, here are some things about our imperfect relationship that I think you will find interesting and totally relatable, because we are normal people even though I am a blogger and that makes us rock stars:*
1. We met at my best friend’s wedding, where we spent hours after the reception taking drunk guests home. We ate at an all-night diner that night. I wore my bridesmaid dress. I didn’t plan well.
2. After a month of dating I invited him on a trip to Europe I would be taking in 6 months’ time. He agreed, and we went, and the hotel we stayed in had no separate bathroom – just a sink, shower, and toilet in the room. After that trip there was no way we were not getting married.
3. He loves sports with every molecule of his being; I hate them with a fiery intensity. He is an extrovert – the bigger the crowd, the better; I am an introvert who wants to hide in my room when the doorbell rings. He can’t be alone; I can’t be alone enough. When he is angry he observes silence, stews and smolders for days until his head implodes; I yell and scream and spew forth every curse word I know and may also actually spit. He loves dogs; I love cats. He can tolerate a reasonable amount of messiness, and IS THAT A CHEERIO ON THE FLOOR? HOW LONG HAS THAT BEEN THERE? DO WE LIVE IN A GARBAGE DUMP?
4. We were once admonished by a flight attendant that bringing your own liquor on an airplane and consuming it was illegal, and that the two plain-clothes police officers seated directly in front of us would frown on our doing so. Our children were very amused yet disappointed in us.
5. We love inane comedy like Superbad and Stepbrothers and Anchorman and 40-Year-Old Virgin and Bridesmaids. When everyone in the world was all, “Hangover Part 2 - meh,” Keith and I were all, “BWAHAHAHA!!! CLASSIC!!” And when the Oscar-winning best picture Argo came out, we were like, "Hey, let's go see Here Comes the Boom!"
6. We are terribly unskilled home owners. I gave up trying home maintenance long ago, yet he continues to try – God bless his bungling heart – and I continue to give his efforts the side-eye.
|We put the F-U in fun.|
This post inspired by: