So the other day I was doing a little blog reading and I came across a post from my friend Alison of Writing, Wishing fame and I snarfed it up as if it was a fresh snack-sized Butterfinger right from the Trick-or-Treat bowl.
Now, if you don’t know Alison or her blog, you should, because she is a great writer and she just had twins and she is still writing and this is a big deal to me because after I gave birth to each of my children ONE AT A TIME I could barely get off of the couch to go to the bathroom for like three months so she is pretty much a rock star.
And she is the sort of person who is consistently kind, encouraging, and selfless, and I was excited and honored to be selected by her to continue this little list of questions post, to be connected to her blog in this way. You know, like in a One Degree of Alison Lee type of thing. So I decided to do it.
Plus I love answering questions about myself. Fun bonus fact about me: I pretend I’m being interviewed by Jimmy Fallon and after the interview we go out for cheeseburgers.
1. What are you wearing? Jeans, socks with teacups on them, a cotton button-down from Old Navy, and I’m writing today so I’m also wearing a chevron scarf. It’s a common fact that all bloggers wear chevron.
|You may not be able to tell I'm wearing chevron.|
Look how great my hair looks.
2. Ever been in love? Boring question. Yes.
3. Ever had a terrible breakup? The worst was the one that ended, and I wasn’t absolutely sure that it had.
4. How tall are you? Most of my life I’ve been able to say I’m six feet tall. Recently, though, my doctors have been informing me that I might only be around five-eleven. I started wearing lifts inside all my shoes, so now I'm six-two.
5. How much do you weigh? When my children get on the scale, they announce how much they weigh. I always respond “What a coincidence! That’s how much I weigh!” It makes me feel good just to say it, even though, sheesh. I’d have to cut a leg off, I think.
6. Any tattoos? One, a sun, in the middle of my back. Dear all nineteen-year-olds: don’t get a stupid tattoo.
7. Any piercings? Just pierced ears. Sometimes I wear clip-ons and tell people I don't have my ears pierced and they are outraged.
8. OTP (one true pair, favorite fictional couple)? Me and Christian Bale. What? It says fictional.
9. Favorite show? Mad Men.
10. Favorite bands? I just love Coldplay. I realize that might make me the most boring person in the world, but I don’t care. They are my people.
11. Something you miss? I miss my old friends who live far away. I miss the nineties. I miss having a flat stomach.
12. Favorite song? I still looooove Chandelier by Sia. Old school love: Copacabana by Barry Manilow. Also Freedom by George Michael. 15 Step by Radiohead. And OMG It Takes Two by Rob Base. That song comes on? It’s a club up in here.
One day I listened to this song on a loop for hours.
It just played in the background.
It sounds weird. I guess it is.
The upside is that now I know all the words.
13. How old are you? I’m 41, nosy.
14. Zodiac sign? Taurus. Best Z sign EVA.
15. Quality you look for in a partner? Kindness. No BS. A sense of humor. You know, if I was looking.
16. Favorite Quote? I have a bunch on the wall at eye level right now:
The parent must always self-parent first; self-preaching always comes before child-teaching. – One Thousand Gifts
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? – Isaiah 43:18-19
We can’t wear all of the hats and all of the capes. That’s why there is the Justice League and not just a single hero. – Val Curtis, BonbonBreak.com
Humor usually works at the moment of awkwardness – fortune cookie
17. Favorite actor? Christian Bale. What?
18. Favorite color? Yellow
19. Loud music or soft? Soft. Mostly. Unless I’m able to sing along. Then loud. To drown out my cracking voice.
20. Where do you go when you’re sad? I just sit and think. The couch, mostly.
21. How long does it take you to shower? If I have to wash my hair, 10 minutes. If not, 5.
22. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? If I have to dry my hair, 30 minutes. If not, 20. The hair – it’s high maintenance.
|Seriously. The hair today.|
It never looks this good.
23. Ever been in a physical fight? I have two brothers.
24. Turn on? Strong arms and nice hands. Also good legs. I guess I’m into peripheral features.
25. Turn off? People who only talk about themselves. What?
26. The reason I started blogging? I was on Facebook and realized that I wanted to say more than just a status update. So I started writing a blog.
27. Fears? Not being able to move, or being closed in. It’s becoming worse as I get older. I think I need therapy for it. I’m only partly kidding.
28. Last thing that made you cry? I cry so often now it’s just a regular part of my day. An article I read. A funny video I watch. Thinking about my kids growing up. Looking at old pictures. TV. Movies. Life.
29. Last time you said you loved someone? Just a little bit ago, I talked to my husband on the phone. I always say it, because I don’t always show it.
30. Meaning behind the name of your blog? ::sighing:: My husband follows up every story I tell with one of the following statements: “She only tells part of the story,” “She exaggerates a little,” “That’s not all true.” Which is correct, I guess, because I tell stories from my point of view, which is my unique perspective. If you read my blog, I’m advising you ahead of time that everything you read here is About 100% true. It’s a caveat mostly because I use a lot of absolutes like every, always and never.
31. Last book you read? I read the Bridget Jones books over the summer, and Rachel and Leah from Orson Scott Card, and the amazing Rare Bird by Anna Whiston-Donaldson, and several others that I can’t remember right now, because the one I’m currently reading is all-consuming.
32. The book you’re currently reading? Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It’s taking me forever. I have a habit of selecting difficult books that take me months to finish. I’m also finding time to inhale Get The Behavior You Want… Without Being The Parent You Hate! by Dr. Deborah Gilboa. The two books couldn’t be more different.
33. Last show you watched? Suits. Do you watch Suits? I’m on Season 2. I’m in love with it. And I love suits. Why don’t more people wear them?
34. Last person you talked to? My mother. It was her birthday. I called her to say Happy Birthday and that I forgot to send a card. She said “That’s okay. The money will spend just as well even if it’s late.” So now I should also send her some money.
35. The relationship between you and the person you last texted? The youth group leader at our church – she asked me if I was still okay with bringing drinks to youth group tonight. I replied, “Yep!” Text conversations are fascinating.
36. Favorite food? I can rip through a pile of meatballs like nobody’s business. Not really. I just thought that was a funny thing to say. Anybody else tired of reading these questions?
37. Place you want to visit? I want to stay in that place in Italy with all the little houses on the hillside. I would drink Italian wine and eat raviolis on my rooftop terrace. Positano?
38. Last place you were? Um, in my house. Dumb.
39. Do you have a crush? Like I’d say that here. My husband reads this. What?
40. Last time you kissed someone? My kids before they went to school. Little extra: I kiss our daughter on the lips. I kiss our son on the cheek.
41. Last time you were insulted? The other morning our son was eating an omelet that my husband prepared for him. He said, “Dad, you should open a restaurant. You’re really good at cooking.” All of the food that the people in my family eats, save a few omelets and the odd nights out, I cook. I am a good cook, yet compliments on my food are rare, and complaints are common. When he said that to my husband, I felt as if I was slapped. Neither one of them realized it, but man. That stung.
42. Favorite flavor of sweet? Chocolate, unless you’re talking cake or ice cream, then vanilla. I also love caramel.
43. What instruments do you play? I played the flute once upon a time, and also the piano. I mean, I’m no professional accompanist, but I can plunk out a tune here and there.
44. Favorite piece of jewelry? My rings. I love them all. I wish I had more than ten fingers. It would be weird. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be.
45. Last sport you played? Last spring our family played basketball on our backyard court. Rather, they played basketball. I just sort of ran around and threw the ball around. Which is sort of how I view sports anyway, so I wasn’t actually half bad.
46. Last song you sang? It Takes Two by Rob Base, obvs. That freakin’ song, man.
47. Favorite chat up (pick up) line? Are you a magician??? Because Abraca-DAYUM!
48. Have you ever used it? Snort. No, but I’d love to say it without laughing.
49. Last time you hung out with anyone? Do kids count? Because I hang out with them a lot.
50. Who should answer these questions next? Oh jeez, I don’t know. How about you? It’s free to enter, and fun to play! Let me know if you do it!
Go ahead. Hit play. You know you want to.