As I sit here staring at a blank screen sloooooooowly filling with words, I’d like to own up to something.
My bathroom, the one I share with my husband, is filthy and needs to be cleaned.
The kids were just off school for four days due to the several feet of snow (OMG save me) we received in a massive winter storm and I asked them to clean their rooms and their own filthy shared bathroom. Which they did. Because my kids know that if they don’t do what I ask, things happen which make them cry fat tears of sorrow and shame.
I'm exaggerating, of course. This doesn’t really happen that much anymore. What I do is follow them around with bathroom cleaner and rags, scream-singing my own version of Barney’s clean-up song until they comply.
Sorrow and shame are optional and totally on them.
As a rule, cleaning bathrooms isn’t my most reviled household chore. I hate vacuuming much worse, followed by kitchen duty and sweeping / mopping hard floors. Bathrooms are usually small rooms, and in ten or fifteen minutes they can be refreshed.
But our bathroom is big. Every surface needs a scrub, and to be clear, our bathroom consists of one large room and a smaller throne room that houses a toilet. That’s two rooms, math whizzes.
Two rooms full of sinks, a shower, a large tub, and the throne room – that’s a lot of crusty bathroom area to clean up, people. Whoever decided that the masters of the home need a huge master bathroom needs a junk punch.
But ahmagahhhhhhhhhh it needs to be disinfected like yesterday.
And I’d rather do anything but clean it. Like the following:
1. Write a blog post about not cleaning the bathroom what is my life.
2. Watch a thirty minute YouTube video. If you know me, you know that I have a hard rule against watching online videos if they are over one minute long and aren’t funny or cute or involve someone falling down or possibly being injured. Here’s the one I watched. Educate yourself. It’s not porn, jeez. Settle down.
3. Order new window blinds to replace the broken ones in our house, and then after placing the order realize I forgot one because everyone knows that ordering blinds is almost as mind numbing as cleaning the bathroom; you’re bound to make a mistake. It’s actually worse, because when you receive the blinds you have to install them, and you know you’re going to do it wrong and what would be a 30-minute job for normal people will take you half the day. You’re terrible at home improvement!
5. Apply eye makeup. There’s an inch of crud on the bathroom counter, but at least I’m wearing mascara. But no lipstick! ::runs off to apply lipstick::
6. Pretend that houseplants need pruning and prune houseplants. Prune one a little too much. Throw out over-pruned houseplant. Rearrange houseplants.
7. Think to myself: I would do almost anything instead of clean my bathroom. Think of a million other things you’d rather do than clean a bathroom, because that job’s for suckers, and this blog post is terrible. Congratulations. You’re at the end.
Eh, it’s not that bad. I'm pretty busy - it can go another week.
This post inspired by:
Prompt #3: List 7 things you would rather do than clean your bathroom.